The School District of Palm Beach County is once again partnering with Healthy Schools and the Florida Health Department of Palm Beach County to offer flu shot clinics in schools, providing the annual vaccine at no cost to students and school staff.
This year, parents are encouraged to register their children for the free flu shot at their school at www.palmbeachflu.com. Parents who are unable to register online can submit the registration form directly from their child’s school.Once vaccinated, the student will receive paperwork to take home for their records.
The clinics will be offered during the school day from October 22 through November 14 at each school in the District. Please check with your school directly to determine the date of the scheduled flu shot clinic. Here are some more valuable tips to prevent the spread of the flu:
- Get yourself and your family vaccinated! Everyone six months and older should get an annual flu vaccine.
- Take everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of flu viruses. Avoid close contact with sick people, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, cover your coughs and sneezes, wash your hands often (with soap and water).
- If you become sick, limit contact with others as much as possible, and stay home if you are ill.
- Remember to cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Take antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes them. If you get the flu, antiviral drugs can be used to treat flu illnesses. Antiviral drugs can make illness milder and shorten the time you are sick.
They can also prevent serious flu complications, like pneumonia. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that antiviral drugs be used early to treat people who are very sick with the flu in addition to being at high risk of serious flu complications, either because of their age or because they have a high-risk medical condition.
To learn more about flu prevention, visit the Florida Department of Health’s FluFreeFlorida.com.
Healthy Schools, LLC, was founded by former NFL football player Tony Boselli, and is working with school districts throughout Florida this upcoming flu season.
For more information about the program or the vaccine, visit www.healthyschoolsllc.com or call 1-800-566-0596.