COUNTYWIDE SCHOOL QUESTION
Shall the School Board of Palm Beach County have authority to levy 1.00 mills of ad valorem millage dedicated for operational needs of District public schools to fund school safety equipment, hire additional school police and mental health professionals, fund arts, music, physical education, career and choice program teachers, and improve teacher pay beginning July 1, 2019 and automatically ending June 30, 2023, with oversight by an independent finance committee of citizens and experts?
What is the need?
Illustrating the Need
ENHANCE SCHOOL SAFETY
- Maintain a certified law enforcement officer in every school.
- Hire additional police officers and purchase additional safety equipment.
- Hire additional mental health professionals – school counselors, social workers and psychologists – to support the social and emotional well-being of student.
KEEP ARTS & MUSIC EDUCATION
- Continue to fund over 650 Art, Music, PE, Health, Choice
and Career education teachers.
- Ensure there are no cuts made to existing teaching staff
IMPROVE TEACHER PAY
Provide eligible teachers with a retention supplement based upon their years of experience.
• 1 to 4 years of experience
• $1,000 annual retention supplement
• 5 to 9 years of experience
• $5,000 annual retention supplement
• 10 years of experience or more
• $10,000 annual retention supplement
If approved by voters, these supplements will be in place for
4 years (FY20 to FY23) beginning in August of 2019.
Every dollar collected and spent will be overseen by an
Independent Referendum Oversight Committee of citizens
If approved by voters, the levy will automatically expire after